Wednesday, July 17, 2013

My (First) Surgery

My operation had a problem. As you may have seen in the videos on this blog, part of the process of installing an implant is to do an incision, then put an instrument, which looks much like the handle on a Channel Lock wrench, inside the channel in the penis where the erectile tissue is. This essentially destroys the tissue and makes room for the implants, one on each side.

When the doc put the instrument in, he somehow nicked my urethra. He then had to stop the normal three piece implant operation, sew up the urethra, and put one of the bendable implants in the space he had created, as a "place holder". So now also, I have a &^$*  @%*^ catheter to deal with for two weeks.

Then the doc will do a test to see if my urethra has healed enough to remove the catheter. That test consists of forcing a dye around the outside of the catheter and up inside my penis. They will then look at the progress of the dye with a fluoroscope to be sure that my urethra is sealed enough to remove the catheter. My guess is that test will be "very unpleasant"!

Then, after 4 months, I can again go in for implant surgery.

During that time, the doc says I will be able to have intercourse (after one month from the original surgery). I now have what looks like a functional (for intercourse) penis, because of the one flexible implant which is in place. So we'll see. It sure is better than what I had before.
 

The hospital was great! The nurses were all very attentive, competent, and helpful. It’s wonderful to see a well run hospital. It has been my experience that this is rare.

No comments:

Post a Comment